• Always follow the manufacturer's recommended installation procedure.
• Solid plank wood floors can be installed successfully above grade level or on grade, but are not recommended for installation below grade.
• Unfinished and factory-finished solid flooring should be installed perpendicular to the joists or on a diagonal for any single layer subfloor.
• Before installing wood flooring, place an approved vapor retarder such as:
o An asphalt laminated paper or Asphalt-saturated kraft paper.
• As a general rule, a ¾" expansion space must be left around the perimeter and at all vertical obstructions.
• Racking rule of thumb: Avoid "H" patterns. Stagger end joints of boards row to row a minimum of 6" for strip flooring, 8-10" for 3" to 5" planks, and 10" for plank wider than 5".
• Top-nail and blind-nail the first row (hand-nail if necessary), using appropriate fasteners.
• Nailing: Blind-nail through the tongue using 1½"-2" fasteners. Use 1½" fasteners with nominal ¾" plywood subfloor direct to concrete slab.
• For wide-width plank flooring (5" or wider), to assist the nailing schedule of 6"-8" and increase holding power.